Sunday, August 3, 2014

W Hotel Singapore - It Could Be Better

Decided to stay at W Hotel as a romantic getaway with my wife after reading many good reviews about it. I am also interested to see how it fares compare with the other hotels in Sentosa such as Festival Hotel, Equarius Hotel, etc. I almost regretted my decision.


Hotel Lobby



Fabulous Room
I was really looking forward to my stay in the Fabulous Room as according to W Hotel’s website the room offers the guests “Panoramic WET® Pool and South China Sea Views”. However my heart sank when I stepped into the balcony – the so-called “panoramic views” were blocked by several palm trees right in front of my balcony! To compensate for the poor view, the room has a larger balcony compare to the other rooms on the same floor but it is of no use to me.  The pillows are also terribly soft and I had a tough time trying to fall asleep. That was the 1st time I managed to wake up at 6.30am without the assistance of an alarm clock during a hotel stay. 


The Kitchen Table
Ironically it turned out to be a blessing in disguise as when we reached The Kitchen Table at about 7am for breakfast there were only a few guests around. I was mentally prepared to expect screaming children running around, rude staffs, etc, after reading some negative reviews of The Kitchen Table, but the breakfast turned out to be one of the pleasant moments in my stay with W Hotel. 


Breakfast at The Kitchen Table




The staffs at The Kitchen Table were friendly and attentive, and I love the breakfast spread. My wife loves the duck noodles soup and I think she had at least three bowls that morning.


Duck noodles soup



Most of the staffs in the hotel I have encountered are very friendly, especially a housekeeping aunty. Initially I was still feeling grumpy about the room but her cheerful greeting and sweet smile saved the day. It is a pity I didn't managed to get her name. And I have to mentioned the lovely smell of the hotel, it so fresh and inviting. If only my workplace smells like that.


Enjoying a relaxing walk after breakfast
A few additional notes for my fellow travelers, firstly if you want to go to the swimming pool in the evening, one of the way is through the door beside the gym. Secondly you need to check the mini bar in the room when you checked in. When we checked into our room the mini bar was empty but I didn’t think much of it at the point of time. But when checking out, although the staff did not say anything but from her facial expressions I don’t think she really believe me. 


Near the main door
Thirdly if you are taking the shuttle bus directly from the W Hotel to Vivo City, be sure to be at the waiting area early as it is not a big shuttle bus and has limited seats. And lastly if you are Singaporean and if you don’t drive, you will need to take a cab to the hotel as the shuttle bus driver will not let you board the bus without the hotel room key card or hotel complimentary pass. Unfortunately you will not have these two items with you because you have not checked in yet. Silly right? Another alternative is to take Sentosa Bus 3 at Beach Station and alight at Sentosa Cove Village and walk to the hotel. You can also checked out the restaurants along the way. 

Overall it was a good experience, and my wife has been asking me to book the Away Room this coming Christmas. But frankly I am not so sure if I am coming back any sooner.


A few days later ...


StephaneFabregoul, General Manager at W Singapore Sentosa Cove, responded to this review.
Hello Alson_Teo,
Thank you for your review and I am glad that you and your wife had a good time here with us and found our talents (staff) friendly. It is important to us that you feel comfortable and welcome here. Please allow me to share with you that we do have a firmer pillow in the room wardrobe, my apologies as my team did not inform you upon check-in. As for the shuttle bus, we are sorry for the inconvenience it may have caused you, as it is our hotel policy to protect the usage of our shuttle for hotel guests only. Actually our shuttle bus driver has been instructed to accept reservation confirmations too. Again I am sorry to know that you did not enjoy your stay to its fullest. I hope you will give us a chance to welcome you back in the future.
Best regards,


No comments:

Post a Comment